LIVE CATCH: SEATROUT POPULATION ENHANCEMENT COOPERATIVE (SPEC)
CAPTAINS MEETING: THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 6:30PM (come early)
FISHING DAY: SATURDAY, NOV 10, SAFE LIGHT - 2PM
WEIGH-IN: SATURDAY, NOV 10, 10AM – 2PM
Three Chapters (Horn Island, Biloxi Bay and Ship Island) have come together and invite all CCA members and interested non-members (ready to join) to join us for a day of FISHING FOR CONSERVATION. HOSSfly (our flyfisher friends) will be joining us. We will be catching Spotted Seatrout (Speckled Trout) to provide brood stock for the Thad Cochran Aquaculture programs. SPEC is a joint GCRL/MDMR project that CCA Mississippi has supported over the years. TIDE magazine published an article about SPEC soon after Hurricane Katrina (2007) when the project was back and first released trout fingerlings. Since then, CCA has continued to support SPEC and now we have the opportunity to contribute brood stock from Biloxi Bay.
What makes this event different is the fish are brought in LIVE! The program follows a protocol in obtaining these fish and they become the brood stock – the Mamas and Papas - to fingerlings spawned, reared and released to enhance our population of Speckled Trout. We catch the fish within the Biloxi Bay area and turn them over LIVE to SPEC staff at the Biloxi Boardwalk Marina.
To assure that anglers fishing this event follow the prescribed protocol, the Captain’s Meeting will be held on Thursday, November 8, 6:30 PM, at Gollott’s Fresh Catch Seafood Restaurant next to the Biloxi Boardwalk Marina. Food will be provided as part of the registration and drink is on your own. GCRL Staff will discuss how to handle fish and provide materials. At least one angler from each boat MUST attend the Captain’s Meeting so we do this RIGHT.
Prizes will be by drawing: Five (5) tickets for every angler entered; one (1) ticket for each speckled trout; if you catch Atlantic Croakers, bring them in. Over $1,000 in prizes; prizes are for FUN - landing fish LIVE is the payoff.
JOIN IN AND MAKE THIS LIVE CATCH A SUCCESS – TROUT FOR SPEC
Information: F. J. Eicke: CaptEicke@AOL.com Cell Phone: (228) 806-1073
- Objective is to offload LIVE Speckled Trout, handled in accordance with instructions from GCRL/DMR staff provided at the Captains’ Meeting [one participant from each boat must attend].
- Because of research protocol and stock genetics, fish within boundaries of Biloxi Bay from north to Popp's Ferry Causeway and out to Katrina Reef and a line across the Bay entry. Participants can fish outside to the west part of Horn Island but remember that our objective is to land fish in the best condition possible. SPEC staff will further explain boundaries at the Captain's Meeting.
- Only legal fish (15 inch or greater trout) will be accepted - live.
- Each boat participating must have a means to keep fish alive – onboard livewell or other raw water measures.
- Prizes will be by raffle – five (5) tickets for each registrant; one ticket for each Seatrout landed.